For ACL Members and their Guests only. Amenity tags required on walking trails
Property owners can enjoy a beautiful and scenic 13-mile trail system which circles the entire development. You may negotiate the paths by hiking, 4-wheeled ATV’s or golf carts. Vehicles must have ACL stickers.
The trails are typically open year-round, but may be closed after hard rains, or for maintenance work. For daily information about the hours of operation, call the Amenity Information Hotline at (815) 492-2257 or call the Safety and Security Department (SSD) at 815-492-2436.The trails are typically open daily until 10:00 pm, but may close during or following inclement weather. Headlights are required on all vehicles on the trails after sunset. Call the Amenity Hotline at 815-492-2257 for the latest updates after rain events.
A copy of property owners’ insurance listing ACLPOA as additional insured must be provided for anyone riding on the trails, and an Indemnity Agreement(waiver) must be signed for each person using the vehicle. Call 815-492-2238 for more information.
The trail system was built so ACL Property Owners and their guests can enjoy the natural beauty of the property. It is the intent of the Apple Canyon Lake Property Owners Association Board of Directors to supplement the statutes of the State of Illinois in respect to the operation of all motorized recreational vehicles upon Association property. These Rules and Regulations are not intended to allow what the state statutes prohibit.
- All motorized recreational vehicles that are to be on ACL trails must be registered annually and display a current ACL decal and ID numbers as issued by the Association. Decals will be issued from the ACL Office. Guest vehicles are not permitted.
- The registered owner will be responsible for the safe operation of the motorized recreational vehicle and be responsible for the activities of their guests.
- The vehicle operator, operating a motorized recreational vehicle, recognizes and agrees that he/she is using the trails at their own risk, and absolves ACL of any injury sustained while using the trails, regardless of the source or cause of the injury. Each operator must sign a waiver to this effect each year when their vehicle is registered. If under 18 years of age, their parents/guardian must co-sign.
- No person shall operate any vehicle in a careless or heedless manner or at a rate of speed greater than will permit in the exercise of reasonable care to bring the vehicle to a stop within the assured clear distance ahead.
- No person shall operate any vehicle in such a manner as to endanger the life, limb or property of any person. No racing permitted.
- No person shall operate a vehicle at a rate of speed too fast for conditions or as may be posted.
- All vehicles must stop at streets and roads, etc., and yield right of way to pedestrians, vehicles, or pedal bikes.
- Motorized recreational vehicles may make direct crossings over designated roadway crossings providing that the crossing is made at a 90-degree angle to the roadway and only after coming to a complete stop and yielding to vehicles and pedestrians on the roadway.
- Motorized recreational vehicles are permitted on trails between the hours of 6:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m. Use of headlights and tail lights is required after sunset.
- No riding or operation on closed trails.
- Any person, property owner or guest, operating a motorized recreational vehicle must complete a waiver and return it to the ACL Office prior to using a registered vehicle on the trail system. Waivers are available at the ACL Office and by downloading Indemnity Agreement here.
- Operation of a motorized recreational vehicle on Association property including the trail system shall be limited to individuals:
- Possessing a valid driver’s license or permit of state of origin.
- Attainment of 16 years of age.
- ATV operators and riders are required to wear the Department of Transportation approved safety helmets and eye protection.
To register a golf cart, ATV, or UTV
To register a golf cart, ATV, or UTV, current proof of insurance listing the vehicle description, $500,000 in liability coverage, and ACLPOA as an Additional Interest or Additional Insured must be supplied to the office. These vehicles also must be measured to ensure they are less than 66” wide. Any golf cart, ATV, or UTV must be registered and stickered before being used on ACL property. We strongly encourage anyone registering a new “toy” to send the insurance and registration (if applicable) to the office in advance of coming out to the lake. This way, if the documents are not sufficient, we have time to notify the property owner of the issue and time for the insurance company to correct and re-send the documents. Most insurance companies are not open on weekends.
Paperwork can be emailed to email@example.com or faxed to (815) 492-2160.